Miss Montana 2006 - Christie Hageman

Monday, August 28, 2006

Sheridan County Fair

Cruisin' Main!
Mmmmm good!


My first county fair was in Plentywood, held July 20-23, for Sheridan County. A local annual tradition with the fair is the parade. I got to ride in a cute red 1963 Covair roadster and the driver knew my dad through Masonic connections. At the rodeo I sang both the National Anthem and the Canadian National Anthem. I give credit to my Job's Daughters experiences for teaching me "O Canada"!
We had great cross-over visitations to and from the Alberta Job's Daughters and always sang both anthems at our gatherings.
My biggest challenge was adapting to the amplificaiton system at the rodeo arena. With a slight delay from what was put into the microphone and what went out of the speakers, my ears could only hear myself singing what seemed like three seconds earlier (it wasn't that much, but it was challenging).
Ah, the power of adapability; it will become a wonderful assset in my travels.
The rodeo was fun and they had a "Calf Dressing" contest in which teams of four ladies had to catch a calf and then put a t-shirt on the calf. It is a local attraction and entertaining to say the least.
I also sang at the Free Entertainment Stage on the 23rd. but since it was the last day of the fair, the crowd was not as large as the previous days.
Later that day I sang at the demolition Derby and had a few chuckles as I climbed the ladder up to the crow's nest in my heels. I guess I didn't think through where I would be walking when I prepared my wardrobe that morning. I certainly didn't think I would be crossing muddy runways and climbing ladders in my shoes.
People have been quite impressed about the things I accomplish in heels.
After that I was due for a retreat from the afternoon heat and guess where that took me.....Dairy Queen of course! I think Avice is learning that I hardly ever turn down Dairy Queen and sometimes ask for it to satisfy my addiction. What can I say....when one grows up in a Dairy Queen, it runs through the blood!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home