Miss Montana 2006 - Christie Hageman

Friday, April 20, 2007

Dutton & Brady -Sneakers & Heels (March 2)

Once I finished in Missoula, I set out for Dutton in the afternoon. I drove Highway 200 through Lincoln for the second time this year, and was again in awe of the beautiful landscapes this state possesses. The other fascination that kept me entertained if not simply attentive, was watching the weather. It amazes me when the sun is shining and I drive into a foggy cloud where it snows tiny sphere-shaped balls of snow. Then literally three minutes later, I’m back in sunshine with long range visibility. It’s the same awe struck feeling of watching a rain cloud move down a long valley while still standing in the sun, but knowing the rain will arrive soon. It reminds me of how helpless we are in comparison to the forces of nature.

I arrived in Dutton and learned that the schools in Dutton and Brady (15 miles north) are combined with the grade school and high school in Dutton, and the middle school in Brady. Therefore I would make three presentations between the two schools. I stayed with the music teacher which is a big advantage because she took me over to the school in the evening and set up what I would need in the morning. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I would be presenting in an auditorium! Yes, it was a smaller auditorium, but the performer in me appreciated the formal space. They have a great facility for plays and concerts, of which, I happily learned, they take full advantage. Over at Brady with the middle school, we had a more intimate space in the lunchroom which I think worked very well since it was a smaller group.
I made a funny mistake with them, but because we were so close, I caught it before I began my presentation. Walking in from the car, I wore my comfortable casual sneakers and carried my high heels in my bag. When I was setting up, I hadn’t even noticed that I forgot to change my shoes. When the students came in, I heard a few whispers and looked down with a little embarrassment. I quickly changed them and one of the girls said, “I didn’t think those shoes matched your skirt too well.” At least they know I’m human :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home