Miss Montana 2006 - Christie Hageman

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Andrew's Make-A-Wish Foundation Dino Dig


Sometimes we are given opportunities and put into positions in which our influence is more than we had imagined. I am often reminded of the large effect I am capable of in my year as Miss Montana and it only intensifies my drive to radiate positive change to the lives and attitudes of Montanans. On Wednesday, September 20, I had the honor of taking part in a little boy’s wish through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. His name is Andrew and his family traveled from New York to Glendive in order for Andrew to participate in a dinosaur dig. In true Montana fashion, the family was welcomed with open arms and became a part of the community. By the amount of hugs that were given, one would think it a family gathering, but that is simply the way we Montanans work. After finding dinosaur fossils at his very own dig site (now named “Andrew’s Site), the family experienced some local attractions and had dinner at the Yellowstone Inn with me as an invited guest. Andrew was quite excited to tell me all about dinosaurs and his first-hand experience with the fossils. As I “serenaded” him, his family, and the entire restaurant, he first sat and listened, then decided to accompany me on the nearby piano :). After many pictures, gift presentations (which included a real fossil of a T-Rex tooth), and another round of hugs, Andrew and his family left with a promise that they would return to Montana again.
The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a remarkable organization that brings hope and love to the children and families but also to everyone who becomes involved along the way. It was a truly touching event for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home