Miss Montana 2006 - Christie Hageman

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Special Olympics International Basketball Games


For three days I had the privilege of attending the Special Olympics activities in Helena. Their state basketball tournament turned international when a team from Calgary, Alberta drove down. I sang at the Opening Ceremonies both the American National Anthem and the Canadian Anthem (O Canada in case you didn’t know ;).
I also attended their Family and Friends dinner before their highly anticipated Carnival and Dance. I will have to inform the next Miss Montana when her time comes that fine point sharpies DO NOT last when signing on laminated paper. Afterwards I was caught red-handed at the Dairy Queen by members of the Chouteau team. Luckily it was only a sugar-free dillybar, not a Blizzard.
At the Saturday closing ceremonies I assisted the volunteers as they handed out medals to the teams. I had replenished my supply of Sharpies (the normal tip – hurray!) and signed everything from nametags, hats, t-shirts, and again…shoes!
The Special Olympics is an extraordinary organization. Every member, volunteer, and family is just as excited to be there as the athletes. This enthusiastic participation makes for an unforgettable experience for everyone and I am honored to be a part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home