Miss Montana 2006 - Christie Hageman

Saturday, November 18, 2006

A Weekend with Educational Professionals

What better group to address about Music than Educators? I spent the week of October 18 with various groups for education in Montana. I first spoke at the awards luncheon on Wednesday at The Montana Conference of Educational Leadership (MCEL) which incorporates the Montana School Boards Association (MTSBA), the School Administrators of Montana (SAM), and the Montana Association of School Business Officials (MASBO), held in Billings. They honored schools and individuals for their contributions to quality education.
On Thursday morning, the general assembly kicked off with over 800 attendees. I had the honor of singing the National Anthem and then had to leave right away to drive to my next event in Missoula.
The National Association for Music Education (MENC) is the national organization that created the National Anthem Project which has been a defining mission in my year as Miss Montana. The state organization that falls under the umbrella of MENC is the Montana Music Educators Association. Their convention was held in Missoula on October 19 and 20. I have my own cherished memories of attending All-State Choir. Returning to address the music educators as Miss Montana was a bit unreal. I did get to briefly address the All State choir and was pleasantly surprised to find that the guest conductor was one I had just worked with at my university last spring. The concert on Friday night was, as usual, amazing.
I also had the opportunity to meet and have tea with a former Miss Montana, Joanna Lester, who placed in the Top Ten at Miss America. Ms. Lester went on to professionally use her vocal talents in both the United States and Europe. She now lives in Montana and is a delightful vocalist and lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home