Miss Montana 2006 - Christie Hageman

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Glendive Schools

One of my busiest days yet I spent in Glendive on Thursday, Sept 21. I began with a wonderfully hearty breakfast at the Charley Montana Bed and Breakfast: the home of the Miss Montana portrait room (Sophia’s and Evangelina’s pictures hang in their parlor). After I presented my message to Washington Middle school, I had a few extra minutes for Avice and me to stop at the Glendive Medical Center. She had some quilts and blankets made by Project Linus to donate to the hospital and she thought I might give a few surprise visits to some patients. Spur-of-the-moment acts of kindness can be the most well received and I hope I brightened a few smiles for the day.

From there I spent some time at the Eastern Montana Veteran’s Hospital. I can honestly say that I have never seen prouder faces than when I talked about the National Anthem and its importance in schools. I gladly welcomed lunch at the Carpenter’s Pantry where some of the Miss Montana board members and volunteers dined with me. I am very grateful for the encouragement they give me and am always happy to see their smiling faces.
In the afternoon, I presented at the two elementary schools, Jefferson and Lincoln, and again saw a few familiar “little sister” faces. I decided that I had worked hard enough that I deserved a little Dairy Queen before driving back to Billings. I usually find a good excuse to justify a little ice cream :) However, my day was not yet finished after driving to Billings. I rolled into town just in time to catch a choir rehearsal for the funeral of one of my beloved choir directors, fellow performers, and teachers: Ed Harris. A true Billings celebrity, we celebrated his life and his music on Friday morning. He will be dearly missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home